Thursday, April 03, 2008

Inspiration


Whistler Olympic Park
Originally uploaded by Janamel
While Scott and I have been puttering around on our skis this winter, we've shared the slopes with athletes that are aiming much higher than us. (which is not that hard, actually, because we're usually aiming for lunch.)

In March, we were at SunPeaks at the same time as the Canadian Association of Disabled Skiiers: watching skiers in sit-skis - or on one ski - run a gated course faster than I ever will, was pretty amazing. And last week, we went out cross country skiing at the new Whistler Olympic Park at the same time as the Canadian Biathalon Championships were being held.

Finding athletes on the same track is kinda like spotting celebrities in Hollywood; you're super impressed and then a little voice in your head perks up and says, "Hm, they're not that different from you or me... I could totally do that! Yah! Bring it on!"

Now, It's unlikely that I'll be strapping a gun to my back and racing around in a spandex outfit anytime soon, but hey, a couple of years ago I didn't know what climbing skins were. So, although I may have missed my potential Olympic podium years, anything's possible.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I personally think your more of a synchronized swimmer.

    ReplyDelete