Saturday, October 24, 2009

DIY

These are the dark, dark days of the reno when it feels like we've been living in chaos forever and will be, forever. However, I can hardly complain as progress continues, relatively smoothly.

This weekend signals the first and only "do-it-yourself" portion of this project. Early on, Scott and I agreed that we were (1) largely inept in construction skills, (2) impatient and unwilling to learn, and (3) likely to divorce if we tried to build something together.

The one place we do have a little bit of experience is installing flooring (from GFP02, the great Galiano Flooring Project of 2002). Coincidentally, the one job that seemed more complicated to hire someone was to put in the cork floors that we'd chosen. So here we are.

I'll say up front that I'm staying out of it. Scott and his brother, Dave, have gamely taken on the work. This was Scott and Dave an hour ago:


Alas, there's been a hiccup which means they're now wandering the depths of Dave's basement or the aisles of Home Depot looking for the right tool to help with the job. As for me, I think I'll stay far, far away from this particular problem: my marriage depends on it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:03 AM

    ahh the GFP of 2002! But do you remember the disaster that happened after a winter of dampness to those great floors? GFD03 (Galiano Flooring Disaster of 2003)

    Can't wait to see your new kitchen...I'm sure your floors will be fine ;)

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. Best to photograph and run. Toss bottles of favourite libation over your shoulder.

    Am also excited to see the new kitchen. I love other peoples' renos!

    ReplyDelete