Friday, July 06, 2007

Meanwhile...

Finally summer and sunshine has arrived on the coast! Scott celebrated with a dip in the Georgia Strait this weekend. It was still a bit chilly for me to consider joining him but a few weeks more of this will have me ready to jump in, in no time.

Meanwhile, the best part of summer is truly here: berry season. Last weekend Scott and I drove out past the edge of the big-box stores to the pleasant rural part of Richmond and picked up a number of boxes of fresh local strawberries, my intention was to make jam out of most but by the end of the weekend Scott and I had eaten at least half and I managed to resist eating them all only by freezing the rest. Luckily Nicola supplied me with some of her freshly batched strawberry jam but even that's already half gone: jam is the best when it's super fresh.

Meanwhile, I called my parents recently to hear my father cheerfully telling me he was digging into the latest of my mom's strawberry pies, the third one she'd made in as many weeks. I was immediately suspicious. Why wasn't I invited over for any of these legendary pies? Was that my brother in-law's voice I heard in the background? Was my sister and her family over for pie? Was there any pie left? 'Cause I could come over, you know, right away, to help finish off any pie. My mom got on the line to calm me down and promised us dinner - including strawberry pie - next Friday. Scott may have to battle my 3.5-yr old nephew for the last piece, though (HE WILL LOSE - SF).

Meanwhile, over here today we have fresh raspberries and blueberries (as well as cherries, which although not technically a berry, still just as coveted.) I threw a few of the blueberries into a rustic tart for tonight's dessert, just now ready to be served with yummy ice cream. Yes, summer has finally arrived, and not a moment too soon. Stay tuned for the next episode of Life with Scott... "Adventures with Summer Complaint".

PS By popular request (okay, one repeated request) I've turned comments to the ON position, for this and future posts. You are now welcome to compliment me on my exceeding talent/intellect/beauty at any time.

1 comment:

  1. Fuuny, I was just having the Cherry not Berry conversation just before I read this post.

    Okay not really all that funny. Dull if you really think about it.

    Gawd, my life is so boring. Maybe tomorrow I'll talk Okra with anyone who will listen.

    ReplyDelete