Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Mountain Air
Last week I travelled east to show off another spectacular corner of the province to a group of hardened press types. But they were as blown away as I am, each time I visit the Rockies. Check out more photos on the Flickr link to the right.
The mountain air is incredibly cleansing. Maybe a little too cleansing for a certain reporter from the big city. Not only did we cut him off cell phone access - a swift yet deep cut, we then took him on an six hour hike far, far from any city cubicle or computer terminal. The poor guy, who I reckon hasn't seen this side of a tree (or a treadmill) for about a decade, just about kicked it - but my colleague Tom kept him alive with pretzels and promises of a post-hike beer. It worked, thank God, although he's not yet ready to eschew the vices of cigars and trans-fats for the life of a mountain-climber.
Another day and another hike: the beautiful Lizard Range near Fernie, this time with a mountain guide and another big-city journalist who had never been to the Rockies before. His way of reflecting was to swear vehemently when he found a spot of extraordinary beauty. I had to agree, but also hoping he'll come up with something more poetic for his article.
Then it was a quick visit to Calgary, to visit Jacqueline and her family, including her two little girls, one a chubby and happy baby and the other a mischievous and dimpled two-year old. We had a wonderful visit, and then I pulled Jacq away for a wild chase around Calgary to find a tree, one that had been planted as a memorial to Scott's dad. I believe I tried Jacq's patience by having her drive up and down the white-knuckle Deerfoot Trail about half a dozen times before turning off on a winding, follow-your-nose drive through a northeast suburb, finally and amazingly landing at the right spot. Vern's blue spruce is thriving and slowly growing, now almost as tall as the thigh-high summer prairie grasses that surround it.
I was home in time to celebrate Canada Day with Scott, and we've spent the last two days putting a few more home-like touches to our place: hanging pictures, arranging books, organizing closets. Slowly we're settling in, and despite the allure of the beautiful Rockies, I'm happy to be home once more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hmmm, here's my theory. You have very strange karma with the rockies - remember the CTC film crew? I'm not saying it's your burmuda triangle, just that you are going to have to expect adventures anytime you go there.
ReplyDelete