Thursday, September 11, 2008

Forbidden City


Forbidden City
Originally uploaded by Janamel
How can you not love a place with names like Hall of Supreme Harmony ( followed in quick order by Hall of Medium Harmony, a personal favourite), Palace of Celestial Favour, Gate of Loyal Obedience and Garden of Established Happiness (not to mention the Pavillion of Literary Profundity)? I'm tempted to start naming the rooms of my own humble abode in the same way.

The former Imperial Palace here in Beijing is enormous. Entering from the south, the scale begins on a dramatic and overwhelming size, but moving from courtyard to courtyard, slowly changes size and tone until reaching the much more intimate but no less beautiful residential wings and gardens.

In paralympic news, today we made the journey to the rowing venue, about an hour drive from the city centre. The stands were filled with groups of Chinese workers and students, enjoying the facility and the races. The excitement was palpable when China led, and won, the last race. The hot weather meant my colleagues and I ate a couple rounds of ice cream to keep cool. (Who can say no to ice cream, even if it does replace lunch?) So now it's off to find a proper dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Now you'll understand why Josie and I had ice cream for dinner several times.

    I am really enjoying your musings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words: Haagen Dazs. By now, I'm sure you have walked by it several times. We had "dinner" there more than once.

    Jos

    ReplyDelete