Saturday, November 03, 2007

Staying in Touch

I just joined facebook, as it truly is the best way to be in touch right now with some of my extended family. But I did so with mixed feelings, as I have a whole lot of ways to communicate with people. This blog, for instance, which has more space for rambling thoughts - for better or for worse. But how many conduits for communication do I really need? (flashback to my entire university education, in which I overused the word 'conduit' excessively in a four year long, unresolved argument about the Marshall McLuhan statement 'the medium is the message.' But I digress.)

Anyhoo, I feel the same way about these 'conduits,' as the kids say, as I do about all the membership cards that clutter up my wallet: I probably don't need them all. Now, my unrelated rant about membership and loyalty cards goes on for some time so I'll spare you the details but I think my point is this: if I stop picking up the phone and calling you, please come over and slap me on the forehead and take me out for lunch. (PS Clara, I think by now I owe you lunch: what's your number, anyway?)

No comments:

Post a Comment