Somewhere in the last 10 years when a lot of our Christmas traditions were slowly changing and morphing into others, Scott and I took on the tradition of the Christmas Ham including the traditional Gourmet recipe. Scott, who thinks the mere idea of a ham (let alone stuffed) is a brilliant one, has embraced this tradition wholeheartedly.
This year Scott ordered the ham from Oyama Sausage Co. who in turn highly recommended the boned Swedish Ham, which is fairly different from a standard issue ham in that it's uncooked. Now the challenge became to merge our traditional recipe into a preparation of pork which looked very different from what was originally intended (I believe Scott used the words "diametrically opposed.")
Instead of drilling the ham with holes we filled the boneless centre cavity with stuffing, and owing to it's already moist consistency we decided to skip the 'dousing-with-port' part and proceed with baking instead of braising.
With that in mind, feel free to send an email if you like to be included on our test event invite list: the more, the merrier!
I personally offered to create a port-based glaze instead of braising in port.
ReplyDeleteThe "traditionalists" (Janice) are resistant to this idea.
SF
Oh my god! I must have that port raisin yum recipe - even though I don't eat ham. What do you think it would taste like with Tofurky??
ReplyDeletehee hee.
We have fish for Christmas dinner. Fried fish and potato salad a la Czech tradition.
Happy holidays to you and Scott.
Oh lord you make me laugh. The thought of you and Scott battling it out in your kitchen over the prep of a ham is comedy gold. Kids-in-the Hall funny.
ReplyDelete...just in case I wasn't clear, my laughter is completely complimentary. I want a live feed from your kitchen to cheer me on dull days.
ReplyDeleteI hope that isn't too creepy.
I'll go now.