Monday, May 03, 2010

The 'other' Mexico


Four Seasons Mexico City
Originally uploaded by Janamel

Last week I had a lightning-fast trip to one of my favourite work destinations: Mexico. No, not the beach-resort Mexico that so many Canadians know, but the figurative heart of the country: Mexico City, D.F.

On other visits to this ancient and sprawling city of 20 million people I’ve visited Frida Kahlo’s home in Coyoacan; gotten stuck in traffic in the Centro Historico; eaten gorditas, chicharron and churros until I’m too full for another bite; bartered for knick-nacks at the Cuidadela market; danced (badly) into the wee hours at the salsa club.

This visit, though, was just two days long and left little time for diversions. Sad to say, I only left my hotel once, to join friends for dinner - at, um... a mall (a swank mall, for sure, but that's another story).

But before you lend me your tiny violins, I also must say that if there’s a hotel to be locked up in for a few days, the Four Seasons Mexico is it. Despite the bustling, chaotic city outside its walls, the hotel’s interior courtyard is a oasis of green and calm, and most of our meetings were conveniently held in the shady patio of the restaurant. Warm sunshine, margarita on the rocks, a steady supply of guacamole... I survived.

We aren’t then only ones to realized this gem – the same night we were hosting a small reception on one side of the hotel’s courtyard, Mexico’s President Filipe Calderon was hosting his own gathering on the other side. He did not, however, join us for a margarita.

As much as I enjoyed my gilded cage, next time I visit Mexico you can be sure I’ll be escaping into the city as quickly as possible. And bringing Scott along for the ride.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Meetings with margaritas....... tough job, but somebody's got to do it!! :) Dawn

    ReplyDelete