Sunday, May 09, 2010

workworkplaywork

Last week my 4-year old niece, Kate, came downtown with her grandma (my mom) to join me for a lunch date. We went to a chic little cafe near my office and had pizza and apple juice.

I'm not around kids a whole lot, but I am downtown a whole lot. And it's only when I was downtown with a kid that I realized what an adult world it was. In my carpet-cubicle office, a squeaky little girl voice draws attention. Outside on the street, people walk with purpose, busy coming from work, to work, between work. And then there was us and Kate. Talking in exclamation points! Not walking in straight lines! Playing "Fire Hydrant"! (The rules of the Fire Hydrant Game as taught by Kate: when you see a fire hydrant you yell, "Fire Hydrant"!) When I got back to the office after lunch, I taught everyone the rules of "Fire Hydrant." I'm hoping it might catch on with the downtown 'kids'.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I love the game. I will play. :)

    ReplyDelete