A good deal of my time these days is being spent at the VANOC MPC, which is code for the Olympic 'Main Press Centre'. In my volunteer role at the Olympics, I assist with the press conferences being held at the centre. In the most glamorous moments of the job that means I run around Donahue-style with a microphone when journalists have questions.
The press conferences will include presentations by various national teams, daily VANOC / Int'l Olympic Committee briefings and other official announcements. We're expecting lots of visits from athletes and VIPs, which will be exciting to be peripherally involved in.
The other volunteers, staff and I have a little bit of pride in the space that we're responsible for, so had a little thrill earlier this week when 'our room' made the news for the first time. Below is a video clip from "24Hours," when the podiums and uniforms for medal presentations were unveiled: yes, the podium is nice but take a look at the room it's in - - that's my home for part of February!
"run around Donahue-style" - tee hee! I really love your descriptions! (And I haven't thought of Donahue in a very loooonnnnnggggg time...)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your excitement, we are feeling it out here, too!
:) Dawn