Saturday, February 13, 2010

When one door opens

Two years ago I bought tickets to the Winter Olympic's opening ceremonies, knowing that it was, for me, one of the most defining moments for creating a feeling of unity, possibility and happiness.

I must say, however, I was a little bit drained and distracted when I met my family to head to the ceremony. I had just left a tense press conference - a packed room of 400 people and 40 TV cameras - where an emotional John Furlong and Jacque Rogge had confirmed the death of the Georgian luger.

And while the thought of Nodar Kumaritashvili was never far from my mind, it made the evening very poignant to remember that life is fragile, and something to celebrate when we have the chance and opportunity.

Highlights for me were certainly the welcome of the first nations, which felt like a celebration of the best kind, and the two performances led by Sarah McLaughlan and K.D. Lang, both were visually and sonically beautiful.

I've posted our photos to flickr for you to get a sense of what our experience was like - hopefully you enjoyed the ceremony from your vantage point, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment